I cook every single meal at home – almost every single day. We are huge homebodies and rarely go out to eat. Honestly, theres two reasons for this: one, it’s how I always pictured adulting. Especially in seasons like this, I love setting my mind to a recipe, putting on the fire and some holiday music, taking in a few scenes of the pups cuddling by the fireplace and just being domestic. There’s something really special and magical about it. Two, it helps that I adore cooking and baking, because we are gluten free, dairy free, we don’t drink caffeine and are (mostly) sugar and alcohol free around here, which may sound like we don’t eat (or drink or DO) anything. Not so, though!
Each day I’m inspired to come up with delicious, wholesome meals and melt in your mouth desserts so we don’t feel like we’re missing out. And sometimes, I invent something that’s super healthy but still comes so very close to the “junk food” version of itself that I absolutely HAVE to share it!
Today is one of those days!
The other morning Todd came home with this gluten free brownie mix from Trader Joes. After a few days of pondering it, I decided I was going to make us the BEST brownie treats ever. I know he (and I and everyone in the universe) loves the edge of the brownies the most. I knew that if I mixed the batter in just the right way with the right balance of “soft” ingredients, that I could create a delectable little chocolate peanut butter mini cake – without dairy, without gluten, and with our sugar intake cut in half. The best part is, many of this ingredients in these delicious little cakes are healing and healthy for you.
For sweetening, I recently switched to Sugar 2.0 +probiotics, since probiotics have cured the guts of our whole family and this particular brand cuts sugar in half and replaces it with fiber. Your body uses fiber to control blood sugar levels, so this is seriously so genius! Love this substitute!
These darling little chocolate peanut butter cakes barely need any sweetening at all and they come out otherworldly – ala brownie flavored Reese’s peanut butter cups – but BETTER. The brownie mix crisps perfectly and hugs the filling. The combination of ingredients is so soft and superb. Absolutely delightful – and they were gone overnight!! A perfect treat for yourself or the whole family – and the mini size makes it easy and fun to do!
- 1/4 small can of coconut milk
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sugar 2.0
- Healthy pinch sea salt
- 1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- Soaked raw cashews (soak in water for 3 mins)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a blender, combine raw soaked cashews, coconut milk, cayenne pepper, Sugar 2.0, sea salt, ground cinnamon + blend on high.
- To the gluten free brownie mix add the coconut oil, Sugar 2.0, cayenne, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, chocolate chips and toss to combine.
- Add gluten free mix to cupcake trays so they are each 1/4 full.
- Add a scoop of raw almond or peanut butter to each cake.
- Add a tablespoon of cashew filling to the top of each of your cakes.
- Optional: Add fruit such as raspberries or strawberries to the middle. This can also be done after.
- Bake for 45 mins or until moist when poked with a fork or toothpick.
- Remove and let cool.
- Enjoy immediately. Best eaten when fresh but also amaaaazing the next day! Store in fridge.
*This post was created in partnership with Sugar 2.0.