Today, a PubMed search for scientific journal articles published in the last 20 years containing the word “cannabis” will reveal 16,614 results. Add the word “cannabinoid,” and the results increase to 22,122 articles.
That’s an average of more than two scientific publications per day over the last 20 years!
Have you ever wondered how one little plant can help treat so many conditions — each one vastly different from the next?
The search to answer these questions has led scientists to the discovery of a previously unknown physiologic system, a central component of the health and healing of every human and almost every animal: the endocannabinoid system.
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a little known network of receptors and compounds that’s found in every mammal and maintains the body’s equilibrium — regulating things like sleep, pain, appetite, immune function, reproduction, neurogenesis, and stress.
Think of it like a series of locks and keys throughout your body. The locks (or internal receptors) are everywhere, waiting for their keys (or cannabinoids) to come along.
The key might arrive in the form of an endocannabinoid, produced naturally by the body. On the other hand, it might arrive as a phytocannabinoid (THC or CBD) found naturally in cannabis. Endo- and phytocannabinoids actually stimulate the body in the same way.
While cannabis has been used for thousands of years, scientists only disovered the endocannabinoid system in 1992. This marked the first time we understood why cannabis works. Many studies since their discovery have shown that endocannabinoid’s are found throughout your entire system and they play a role in the optimum function of many daily activities our bodies usually struggle with.
Appetite, depression, social behavior, reproduction, sleep, immune function, stress receptors, anxiety and our stress response are all positively affected by endocannabinoids.
Historical records from ancient China and Greece suggest that preparations of Cannabis Indica were commonly prescribed to fight multiple sclerosis-like symptoms such as tremors and muscle pain. Modern research has confirmed these effects in a study on diseased mice, wherein studies showed impressive relieving effects on tremor and spasticity.
Jeffrey Egler, MD, of Parsley Health in Los Angeles says about cannabis, “It’s good science. The numerous benefits have been demonstrated and well-documented for years, if not decades… There are much cleaner products than others, as well as cleaner ways of dosing cannabis.”
Thanks to these advancements, today the plant remains a safe and effective tool to help treat anything from insomnia to anxiety and epilepsy to PTSD.
Oh the human body. What a trove of hidden treasure.
MY FAVORITE CANNABIS PRODUCTS:
- Cannabis Essential Oil (a soothing blend for the skin, muscles and all types of massage. It is also supportive of mild skin conditions.)
- Hemp Extract Gummies (Manage inflammation and pain relief naturally)
- CBD Rich Hemp Oil (for pain management)
- Organic Hemp Oil (for cooking + skin oil)
- Hemp Seeds (Contains more protein and omegas and less carbs than the same serving of Chia or Flax)
- Natural Hemp Cord (for candle making and household needs)
- CALM NOW Stress Support Supplement (Herbal Blend Crafted To Keep Busy Minds Relaxed, Focused & Positive; Supports Serotonin Increase)
- EndoCanna Care Extract (Ideal for managing inflammation, pain, stress & anxiety through naturally occurring phytonutrients found in this all-natural hemp extract.)
- CBD Caragold (a natural, water-based personal lubricant infused with the powerful healing ingredients of organic CBD oil.)