What this really means is that I have no one in my immediate family to look up to about what to do with this crazy mess of curls I call “My Hair”. Really, most days I’m like What is going on up there?! This mix of curl, kink and straight locks can be a Powerhouse to deal with even on “good hair” days. Every day environmental issues, hard water, temperature change, humidity, as well as other people using curlers, straighteners and product on it for work every day, has resulted in hair that can get dry, damaged and is prone to split ends and breakage. My remedy?
Hot Oil Treatments!
The Benefits of Hot Oil Treatment include:
- Achieving An All Natural Remedy.
- Moisture Balance.
- Treatment for dry scalp.
- Shine, body, and volume.
- Softens and nourishes hair.
- Prevents Frizz & Breakage.
- Works for any ethnicity, even straight hair.
- Especially nourishing for kinky, curly, mixed, colored or extremely damaged hair.
Oils For Thought:
- Coconut Oil (DIY post HERE)
- Jojoba Oil (DIY Post HERE)
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil (DIY Post HERE)
- Neem Oil (DIY suggestions HERE)
- Macadamia Nut Oil
- Cold Pressed Olive Oil, which is most common, works wonders too!
Making Hot Oil:
- Solar Infusion:
Solar Infusing herbs is one of my favorite things to do, but it can take 2-6 weeks to infuse completely depending on how much Sun your oil is getting. It’s the most natural and cost/energy effective way to infuse your oil with the healing properties of herbs.
- On The Go:
If you want to make an oil treatment immediately, you can
Heat Your Oil:
Take 5 tbsp. of oil and place it in a small ceramic bowl or mug. Place the small bowl or mug in the water on the stove.
Prepare Your Treatment:
- Add an extra 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of olive oil, coconut, macadamia, castor or avocado if your scalp is dry, or you have dandruff.
- Add an extra 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of jojoba oil for fungal scalp problems.
- Allow the oil to sit for a few minutes until it is warm but not hot. You do not want to burn yourself with the hot oil. Remove the oil cup with an oven mitt.
- Wait for oil to cool so that it is touchable. Massage, brush, and comb oil through the scalp using fingertips and a clean brush.
- Wrap your hair in a towel or shower cap and relax for as long as you desire. Leave in overnight for a super powerful treatment!
- Rinse with warm water and comb through with a brush. Style normally!
Have You Done A Hot Oil Treatment?
Photo Credit: groovylab
Love & Light