This time of year, the squash literally just takes over my garden! Everything from pumpkins to butternut to gourds to zucchini start growing, and when I harvest all of these things, I really can’t even give them away I have so many!! And believe me – I’ve tried (sorry, unsuspecting friends!)
So after a week or so of watching them sit around the kitchen, I decided to cook up some delicious Chocolate Squash Bread! Grated zucchini, from zucchini picked fresh from the garden, is really wet and lush, which is what makes this bread so wonderfully moist. I had to drain my garden picked zucchini for about a day before I could grate it well for this bread, but I recommend this step in the process as it makes the bread come out soooo moist and lovely! This all got eaten by the family in a day! 🙂
So how can you turn this…
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) shredded raw zucchini or squash (I used a pumpkin, a gourd squash and a large zucchini – all home grown! 🙂 )
1/2 Cup Raw Cacao Powder
1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose gluten free flour (my favorite is here!)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon (optional)
1/2 cup (120 ml) organic vegetable, coconut, safflower, grape, olive, or canola oil
1/2 cup (105 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat Oven to 350.
1. Whisk together the flour, cacao powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl until there are no more clumps and the ingredients are well combined.
2. In a separate large bowl, beat together the sugar and eggs until smooth, about a minute.
3. Mix the shredded squash into the sugar egg mixture. Combine with your flour and cacao mixture.
4. Place into the oven. Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F.
5. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan & enjoy!
I hope you’re all having a lovely end of summer/start of fall so far and cooking up some delicious, healthy recipes!