This smoothie could save your life! A new study reveals that this super herb is good for more than just inflammation and beauty..
You may of heard of this incredible spice – maybe it’s been lurking in the back of your pantry, maybe you give it a go every once and awhile, maybe you read about it in my book, even! ;-),but you aren’t sure exactly what it’s for!
Turmeric. You’ve got questions… I’ve got answers!
Turmeric is a medicinal superfood – a root, like ginger – known worldwide for its anti-inflammatory and intense healing properties. It’s amazing for joint pain, arthritis, skin issues, it’s a great immunity booster, a super fat burner and so much more! I use it to fight rheumatoid arthritis and it works wonders! I mean, doesn’t it even LOOK like it’s super healthy for you? How vibrant is that?! It’s also practically tasteless – which I love because I can add it to anything! 🙂
But there’s a lesser known amazing fact about turmeric that might just save your life – this vibrant herb is actually a powerful anti-depressant! In fact, it even works better than Prozac! That’s right – recent research has proven that this extremely potent spice works better than Prozac for treating depression – and it’s side-effect free!
Researchers with the Department of Pharmacology of Government Medical College compared the effects of turmeric and Prozac (fluoxetine) in 60 patients diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD).
The participants were divided into three groups, one group received just Prozac (20mg), the other group received just turmeric (1000mg of curcumin) and the third group received both prozac and turmeric for a course of six weeks.
During the study, researchers found that those taking the combination improved 77.8%, those taking just Prozac improved 64.7% and those taking just turmeric improved 62.5%.
One of the most concerning side effects of Prozac and other anti-depressants on the market is the side effect of suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, anxiety, panic and more!
Turmeric, however, does not have any side effects. Unlike Prozac, turmeric is effective and safe when it comes to the treatment of depression. Frightening side effects present in patients who take Prozac are clearly absent in turmeric use.
Researchers noted: “This study provides first clinical evidence that curcumin may be used as an effective and safe modality for treatment in patients with MDD without concurrent suicidal ideation or other psychotic disorders.”
So, how can we get some more of this awesome, natural anti-depressant in our lives??
5 Ways To Use Turmeric:
- Sprinkle it on your meals – fish, meat, salads, cereal or granola – every day.
- Stir it into your tea, coffee, hot chocolate or water.
- Sprinkle some onto your eggs in the morning.
- Ask your barista for a turmeric latte (like the one above shared by my friend Greta Eagan!) Turmeric is also caffeine free!
- If you have a sore throat simply mix some turmeric powder, or steep turmeric root in a cup of hot water along with fresh ginger, honey and lemon. This will instantly soothe a sore throat and relieve coughing.
- For the treatment of pain, take turmeric capsules daily with water. These are my favorite organic brand!
- Add turmeric to your smoothie.
- Make golden milk: this drink involves milk and turmeric to make a golden colored drink. Simply combine your favorite warm milk (I love coconut milk!) with turmeric paste (water and turmeric powder mixed together to form paste), honey, coconut oil and cinnamon. Blend it all up and you have a delicious and healthy drink.
PICK UP MY #1 BESTSELLING BOOK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW TURMERIC CAN HELP YOU.