I cut my hair for the first time when I was ten.
I had gotten a trim here and there, of course. Even bangs once (so I guess I cut a PART of my hair REALLY short, but to me, it didn’t count.)
By fifth grade I had curls that cascaded down my back. I always had to move my hair before I sat down, to make sure I wasn’t about to start sitting on it. Leaning back in the grass was a nightmare – my hands just about always intersected with my curls.
In fifth grade, my parents decided that a haircut would suit me.
I walked into the salon of a family friend’s with a mane of raven mermaid hair that I had never known life without.
I walked out with a bob that was chopped to just below my ears.
I didn’t even look like the same person.
Honestly, I think my hair was traumatized, because it’s never grown to quite the same length since – haha.
I have been striving since my early days of green beauty to find the perfect combination to keep my hair healthy. I feel like lately I’ve struck the perfect balance. If I do just a few things throughout the day thoughtfully, I am extremely happy with the results! My hair is SO much healthier today than it was when it was super long. I always used to struggle with frizz, dandruff and split ends.
I’ve realized over the years that the length of your hair does not equal the health of your hair. Although my hair was MUCH longer back then, it’s MUCH healthier now. Here’s how I’ve managed to keep my hair happy, bouncy, shiny and growing out at a great pace:
I use this organic oil 2-4x a day. Malaya Organics Hair Oil contains ONLY healing ingredients that nourish and repair hair, and I use it for styling and split ends as well. Your tresses will thank you! Many products on the market (in fact, many of the most heavily marketed) contain sulfates, alcohols and silicones to exfoliate, sud or “soap” up your products.
Sulfates strip your hair of natural oils, drying out your hair. Silicones coat your hair and weigh it down. Alcohols also weigh down your hair. Look for hair products that say “sulfate and silicone free.” Also, check your ingredient list and make sure there are no hidden ingredients!
If you can’t pronounce it, don’t buy it!
Here are 4 simple ways to use organic oil for flawless hair:
In The Shower
- Before you shampoo, apply a few drops of oil to the ends of wet hair. This will minimize the appear of split ends and make dry ends feel softer. After a minute or two, the oil will soak into your hair, and since you’re following with shampoo, your hair won’t be left with a greasy film.
- If you brush your hair in the shower (and do so gently, it is the leading cause of breakage!), use this oil before you comb through. This botanical formula contains vitamin e, which is an antioxidant that helps repair and build tissue. When you apply vitamin E to your scalp, it helps reduce inflammation and repair damage to the follicles, and healthy follicles encourage hair growth.
- Water can only do so much. To keep flyaways down, apply just a drop of Malaya organic oil to your index finger and lightly coat the wild strand. This will also coat the places it’s applied and make them healthier, so hopefully they cooperate more with you in the future (as mine do now! YAY!) Curly or frizzy hair?
- Use this oil to style your curls or keep frizz at bay! Borage oil is the richest natural source of gamma-linoleic acid or GLA (17 to 25 percent). GLA is an important polyunsaturated omega-6 fat that helps keep your scalp and hair healthy.
- If your hair is colored, extremely dry, or damaged, try using this oil on the ends. It’s a great daily moisturizer and if used sparingly, it’s pretty much non-greasy. It contains healing ingredients like coconut oil, which is a fatty oil that will coat the hair and moisturize until it’s washed out. The second stellar ingredient, argan oil is proven to make hair softer, silkier and shinier.
A Spa Quality Hair Treatment
- You don’t need to leave your house for great, spa-quality results on your hair! Seriously! Use this incredible organic oil as an overnight hair treatment or a conditioning treatment. Why spend a zillion dollars at a spa for someone to use who knows what on your hair?
- Simply massage this luxurious organic oil into scalp roots to ends. Leave in or shampoo after several hours. If you want to “activate” the oil and stimulate your hair, warm it on the stove or microwave for a few seconds to heat it up.
- The oil smells amazing because it contains healing essential oils like bulgarian rose and sandalwood. Rose oil also has stimulating, antiseptic, antiviral and bactericidal properties that are beneficial to hair and skin, making it useful as a fast-acting scalp tonic.
You can feel comfortable knowing that this unique combination of organic oils has been formulated to keep your hair healthy!
Ingredients: Coconut Oil*, Olive Oil*, Argan Oil*, Hemp Oil*, Apricot Kernel Oil*, Jojoba Oil*, Sweet Almond Oil*, Avocado Oil*, Sunflower Oil*, Borage Oil*, Herbal extracts – [Rosemary Leaf*, Nettle Leaf*, Lavender Flower*, Chamomile Flower*, Elder Flower*], Proprietary blend of Essential Oils and Absolutes * including – Clary Sage Oil*, Bulgarian Rose Absolute*, Sandalwood Oil* and Geranium Oil* (ideal for falling and dry hair), Vitamin E Tocopherols (GMO Free).